Sunday, June 17, 2012

Family History

Today, Sister Carling gave our Young Women's lesson on record keeping. It was such a great reminder that I needed to get some things done on my family blog-which is our family's records. I got out some of my family history and I wanted to do a post about my family history while it's fresh on my mind. It's amazing when you learn more about your ancestors how much you appreciate who you are and where you came from.

My Grandma Ella Christofferson McKnight was one amazing journalist. I have a copy of my dads history that was written by my Grandma from the time he was born until the day he proposed to my mom. It was fun to read that. Things like what he got for birthday, how he slept as a baby, how he was the youngest and just followed his big brothers and sister everywhere. And it was fun to hear my Grandma's perspective of being a mother to my dad. Sometime you forget your parents were precious little babies at one time. It's so fun that I have a piece of my dads history that I get to hold on too.

I had a class up at USU one semester that required me to interview my grandparents on both my maternal and paternal side of the family. I had to find out what generation American I was, and where I came from. I am so glad that I had this class and found out what I did about my amazing family. I truely come from a strong and amazing heritage. I can't wait to meet them someday to tell them thank you for all the sacrifices they made, that have in return blessed our family.

I'm a 5th and 6th generation American. One side of my family came from England and the other from Ireland. One family was already members of the LDS church and wanted to come to America. The other side came to America some members, some joined the church shortly after arriving. My ancestors lost many family members due to illnesses that pioneers experienced back in the day. One of my ancestors, Hannah, came with her family from England. They sold everything they owned so they could bring every family member with them. Once they reached New York, Hannah walked 1,000 miles by foot. She married and had 12 children. Their first 2 children died in infancy. Their daughter died of Typhoid fever, another child died at childbirth. Another little boy died in infancy. Another daughter, who was older, passed away leaving 3 children for Hannah and her husband to raise, of which one died due to a ruptured appendix. Three weeks later her husband died. As I read this history, I was overwhelmed by her story, I don't know how the pioneers did it, and how they stayed so strong!!
Other amazing ancestors I have, Ann and Thomas. Thomas lived in England, and was searching for true religion. He was preeched the gospel, and new that his prayers had been answered. He was married to a strong Catholic and told her that he was determined to set sail to America to go with the Saints to Nauvoo. Ann didn't want to leave her husband so she agreed to go. While waiting for the ship to sail for over a week, their son caught diptheria and died 24 hours later. Anne was forced to leave her dead son with a sister. The sister despised the name of a religion that would call for such great sacrifices. Ann was in bad condition after the loss of her son. But, they arrived in Nauvoo 2 months later and had the opportunity to shake the hands of the prophet many times. She found great comfort in the church and finally decided to join. She took out her endowments in the Nauvoo temple right before leaving Nauvoo. They struggled for acceptance because of the criticism the church was getting. The Mormon Battalion was put together, and Thomas offered his service. He left his wife and 5 small children. The shock of him leaving them was so great on Anne, that she gave premature birth and the baby only lived 24 hours. Their oldest boy, 12, made a box of rough boards and buried the baby, a little boy. Thomas enlisted in the Company "E" and marched for several weeks. Soon the hardship was so great that he became too ill to walk. The hospital wagons were already over burdned and the officers gave orders to leave him behind. He was not sure if he was going to die from wild animals or from the fever. After a few hours some passing immigrants stopped to see if he was still alive. They gathered him up and took him to Sante Fe. The following July he entered the Salt Lake valley where he was one of the many who received orders from President Young to erect a bowery and his spade, with others, turning the first soil on the temple grounds.

I think of amazing sacrifices such as these and feel overwhelmed with gratitude for their determination. These are just 2 amazing stories from our family history. Amazing stories that make me so proud to be part of a great heritage.


I had my mom scan and send me some pictures, and I am so excited to have copies of these priceless pictures.


My Grandpa Wayne Stones Winn. Here he is in his Navy outfit. We always told Grandpa growing up that he was the most handsome Navy man out there. He is now 80 years old, and he is still just as handsome! Growing up Grandpa would sit down and tell us grandkids all his navy stories. They still fascinate me. He is the best story teller. I have so many great memories of going up to Grandma and Grandpa's house. The stories, the food, their backyard. Going snowmobiling, 4-wheeling, taking us kids camping, riding his lawn mower with him. Listening to his stories about growing up and listening to him play his harmonica (my girls get to enjoy this too!)...watching him jump on our trampoline (that was a hoot!) Grandpa teaching me to swear like a sailor (yes....when people say I swear like a sailor, I blame it on my Grandpa...wink wink)!!!! The list goes on and on.....I could talk about my Grandpa for hours, he is great!

Another picture of Grandpa W. I love that old car in the background.



This is my  Grandma  Shirley Winn.  She passed away about 7 years ago. This picture is amazing because this picture shows Smithfield back in the late 40's, early 50's. My Grandma grew up here. This picture was taken on 3rd South. Where my Grandma is standing, the camera is facing West, so that's where the current LDS church is at. For those of you that are local...you can picture how much Smithfield has changed. The roads weren't even paved in this picture. This is just right by the canal that runs along the backside of Sky View. Can you figure out the house I am talking about....it's still there...but very updated! Me and Grandma were really close, we would paint, sew, cook, sing, draw, crochet together. She taught me so many great skills. We had so much fun together.  There are times were I will be doing something and my Grandma will pop into my head and I will think, "Man, if Grandma was alive today, she would totally have loved to do this activity with me" We were alot alike, she was one of my best buddies!! I sure miss her!





Another picture of Grandma W. Ow ow...look at those sexy legs!!!





This is my Great Granpa Christoffersen on my dad's side of the family.




 

The picture on the left is my Great Grandma and Grandpa Christoffersen. My Great Grandpa passed away before I was born, but I do have a few memories of my Great Grandma. I remember walking into her cute little house and she was always crocheting a blanket. She made beautiful blankets. That's really the only memory I have of her. The picture on the right is my dad's grandparents. So, my Great Grandma and Grandpa McKnight. They came over from Ireland. My parents told me that they had the CUTEST Irish accents. I wish I could have heard it, they had passed away before I was born.





I LOVE these next 2 pictures. The one on the left is a picture of my Grandma Ella, that just passed away last year. I actually see a resemblence between my Grandma and many of my cousins baby pictures. Don't you just love her precious outfit? The picture next to my Grandma was her Great Grandma, so my Great Great Great Gradma. I am amazed at her clothing.





This is my Grandpa and Grandma McKnight. As, I gave my lesson a few months ago about family heritage, I was talking about what kind of legacy do you want to leave for future generations. I couldn't help but give example after example about these 2. Their HUGE testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ will always be something that I will remember them for. Their love of service-not only for the community, but for the church, temple work, and family. My Grandparents spent so much time in the temple that my Grandpa, pictured below, actually passed away in the temple. You can't get any closer to the veil than that!! My Grandparents ran a farm out in Cornish. I always remember my Grandpa wearing his farmer overalls and being the sweetest guy ever. My Grandma was always this sweet little thing, that made the best homemade bread ever!!! And, I mean ever!!! I can't wait to see them again someday! People have told me my whole life that I look just like my Grandma McKnight



It's amazing how the family tree works. I am so proud of my family. It makes me want to be a better mother, daughter, wife, sister, friend, etc. You forget that in 200 years there are going to be great great grandchildren that will want to know about their grandma. That makes me want to do really good things so my grandchildren have to raise the bar every generation.


Below, these two people were my great great grandparents that settled in the Wild Wild West.........lol.  It's actually my parents on their honeymoon at Lagoon....yes, they took their honeymoon to Lagoon. Dad, you owe mom another honeymoon, LOL!!! I just love these 2. I am where I am today because of my parents. I LOVE them so much. I dont think you ever get too old to not need your parents. They have taught me soooo much, where do I even start? My dad always taught me by example. He is the hardest worker EVER, he never takes a brake.  He is so dedicated to his church calling and service.   My mom is the most selfless person every, she has ALWAYS been there for me.  She is the strongest and most determined person I have ever met.  She isn't scared of ANYTHING!  She is wild and crazy and we have so much fun together. I have the greatest parents ever, I'm so blessed!



While I am talking about family history, I have to include these pictures.  Genetics are a CRAZY thing when you get the chance to start comparing generations.  

This is a picture of my dad when he was just a cute little baby. 
2 generations later, my cute nephew Desmond.  I wish I had a picture of my brother when he was a baby.  My dad, brother and nephew are IDENTICAL.  If my dads picture was in color above, it would look like the same kid.  Pretty fun!

1 comment:

Quinn McKnight said...

Your mom was only 17! I couldn't get into anything else!!!!!