Saturday, February 21, 2009

When did I marry Christopher Lowell?

I have been really excited to start putting together the baby nursery, but it's been a little overwhelming. We have to convert our 3rd room, which is now being used as the NY Yankee office, into the nursery. So I came up with a strategy to help me become "less overwhelmed." 1st-Put all the Yankee stuff into storage totes and store away. 2nd-Buy a smaller office desk to fit in the corner of the nursery (yes, this will be a multi-purpose room for the time being.) 3rd-Organize all the office stuff to match the nursery, so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. 4th-Paint the nursery, 5th-move Isabella's crib into the nursery. 6th-Paint Isabella's room the same color as the office 7th-Move Isabella's Big Girl Bed up to her room. 8th-Put together all the "cutsie" girl stuff to decorate the rooms......and then.....June will probably be here. Well, The first SEVEN steps seemed really overwhelming, so I decided today to skip to step EIGHT, the cutsie stuff.

I decided to buy the same comforter and similar decorations for the nursery as I did for Isabella's rooms, so when they are eventually sharing rooms, it can all "merge". I know, I am totally O.C.D. No one has to bring that to my attention. But the theme I am going for, for the girls room is "Vintage Country Garden." Don't ask me how I came up with this, I know it's pretty random. But, I have had way to much fun buying stuff for this theme.

Well, today I made a little trip to JoAnne's Fabric to buy fabric for the crib skirt, valance, and to Slipcover a lamp. Next weekend my mother in law will be teaching me how to sew the crib skirt and valance, but I was so excited about the cute fabric that I bought to match the girl's comforters, that I had to play Martha Stewart and slipcover my lamp tonight. I thought it would be super easy, c'mon, throw on some fabric, some ribbon...make sure the glue gun stays hot, and whola! But, after about 3 1/2 hours of complete frustration, a few cuss words, and a lot of fabric mishaps, I finally completed my "Vintage Country Garden" Lamp. I was totally excited!

Here is the before picture of the lamp. P.S. I made this lamp like 7 years ago, before I got married, it has collected ALOT of dust up in my closet since we got married because my husband HATES the thing.


Here is the new slipcovered lamp, with the matching bunny I bought at Hobby Lobby today. I also found some really cute matching scrapbook paper that I threw in some chunky frames, althought I think I might need to paint the frames cream.

But, my husband, in his exact words said, "I love the new shade. But it needs a cream lamp, you can't mix Vintage with Country, it just doesn't work...and the bunny is creepy. I wouldn't want that thing looking at me while I sleep." I love my husband, but seriously, when did he become Christopher Lowell? I know he's skeptical, but he's going to love the rooms when they all come together.

Now....If I could just pick 1 of the 7 color swatches that are taped to Isabella's wall for paint color.



17 comments:

Emily M said...

WAY cute!! Look at you miss crafty girl. I love Chris' imput on the matter. Like they know!! i am excited to see the finished room!

bladenfamily said...

You should be a professional decorator. Mike agrees! I love the new background.

Stacey Irwin said...

give your self some snaps girls! I wish I had that sort of vision!!! Martha Stewart I am soo not! Laughing about Chris's comments.. Creepy Bunny! ha ah .. why do they even attempt to "know" anything about decor?!! can't wait to see it when it comes together. post pics for sure!

GINGERSPICE said...

Okay, I'm dumb. Who is Christopher Lowell? I thought you did great with the lamp!

How fun to sew your own baby bedding...

There was a gay guy form Cornish... his name was Ryan. I don't dare post his last name so publicly. Let me know if you who I am talking about, if not, I'll email ya.

Nikki Petersen said...

You need to come and help me with my house!!! I'm so jealous that you are having a girl. I want to see pics when it is all done and put together.

I feel the same way about all my fall and winter scents!! Come on over and smell the new spring summer scents they are so good.

Jami said...

It turned out very cute! I'm excited to see everything when it's all complete. Sounds like your going to be busy!

Rachel said...

once again, your craftiness makes me jealous!

moi said...

The lamp and bunny are so Peter Rabbit, with a chic update. I kind of see what Chris was saying about the bunny, like it's ready to steal your purse and run...I so shouldn't be saying that to a pregnant lady-you're likely to get defensive, I'm sorry!!! You have TONS more skills in the decorating world then I do, so who am I to say, right?? I'm so glad I'm not the only person who remembers Christopher Lowell. When I was pregnant with Lyci, I'd come home from Convergys and fall asleep watching his show every afternoon. Seriously, your decorating inspires me.

Jas & Cam Fam said...

O.K., don't even feel like you are OCD! I am the exact same way. Just wait, it gets a lot worse. I lay awake at night sometimes planning my girls clothes out so that they will match. Having 2 girls is soo much fun and sooo expensive!
I miss you in "Nastics"

Ashley Mae McKnight said...

LMAO!! Oh Chris...

Oh and I have no idea who Christopher Lowell is... is this someone I should know about?

I love how you did that lamp. You are awesome, very impressive my dear.

If you decide to paint those frames, let me know. We have SOOO much cream colored left over from our house. You know those industrial size buckets? Yes, all the way full.

The bunny is SOOO not creepy at all, i gotta go to hobby lobby. you just inspired me.

LOVE IT :)

Brittany and Scott said...

wow it sounds like you are really busy. good luck making your crib skirt.

Niki said...

WOW... I had to buy everything already made because I knew if I bought the stuff to make it, it would be still in the closet with the receipt!:)

Heidi Kjar said...

So cute! I love that your husband is saying those funny things- ha ha men are so FUNNY sometimes!;) Well I love it and think you totally have a knack for this kind of thing! such a cute theme for the room. We have one of those multi-purpose rooms too and it drives me crazy because it is so chaotic in there (i have OCD too:) hee hee).....good luck on it all, I'm sure it will turn out darling!

Josie Murdock said...

I haven't said much to anyone about the surgery, I haven't been anywhere to tell anyone. I have been in my house for 2 weeks. I am getting cabin fever pretty bad. I had a hysterectomy last week. I am doing pretty good, just really tired and a little sore. Any good movies ideas let me know!! Thanks for the thoughts!

Q and T McKnight said...

Oh my word - how cute is that lamp! Good thing you got your sewing talent from Grandma Winn and not your Mom. Remember when I would hem your pants - great use of masking tape, huh? The only problem - I had to re-tape your hem after each wash!

Can't wait to see the Nursery and Isa's room when you have them done. You are so talented when it comes to decorating.

Love you and Miss you!

Mom

Sandy said...

The lamp is adorable and I think the bunny is darn cute too. What do men know about decorating anyway (especially little girls rooms). Your quilt is darling, the final product will be divine! I love the vintage theme. I picked up some vintage fabric a few weeks ago for crib bedding. I love the old fashioned look. Well, now that the cradle is done, it's on to bigger things. Wish me luck! I may be asking for tips on the bed skirt!

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

Okay for the record I think it turned out awesome. Isn't it funny what those guys of ours suddenly decide to have an opinion about? If you had asked for one you couldn't have drug one out of him. At least he cares though. But I bet it's all gonna turn out amazing, you have such an eye for decor!:)