Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Season to Give Thanks

I can't believe that I blinked and suddenly it went from Halloween to Thanksgiving, what seemed like just days has actually been weeks. I can't be more excited. The turkey will be on the table in just 4 days, and then the Christmas tree with all it's festivities will be here in just 5 days. I am gearing up for "Black Friday" with as best preparation as possible.

I felt that since Thanksgiving is this week, I would take the chance to share things that I am thankful for. It's been a crazy year, and the last few months have really been crazy. I thought I should take the opportunity to THANK all my FAMILY and FRIENDS, who have shown such love and concern for our family. I also have to THANK my HEAVENLY FATHER who has heard the many prayers from myself, my husband, our FAMILY and FRIENDS. I mentioned a couple months ago that I was starting to have health problems....once again. It's been a couple of months of ups and downs and to be honest one minute I thought everything was okay and the next everything wasn't, and back and forth. So, as sweet phone calls and e-mails poured into our home asking how things were going, I always responded with "We're doing good" because I didn't know if we were inbetween a good moment or a bad.

To explain, last year in June I got very very sick, had surgery and spend 5 days in the hospital and about 3 weeks of painful recovering in bed. It was a time in my life that I remember being such a trial, because I felt helpless, especially with a newborn. In September I started having pains on my right side, last year it was my left side and they removed an organ because it had grown an abcess on it. I was scared that maybe my right side was having the same problem. I immediately called my OB/GYN and they immediately got me in for an ultrasound. As I laid on the Ultrasound bed, the ultrasound tech saw something on my right side, and instead of saying something like "Oh, it's just a cyst, or oh it's nothing to be worried about" he said, "I need to go find your doctor and rushed out of the room. I was all alone in the room, and I broke down in tears, soo scared of the unknowing. My family has a HUGE history of Ovarian cancer, almost all the women on my mom's side of the family have had to get hysterectomy's by age 35, very very young. I was hoping that somehow I could have defeated those terrible genes. My doctor came into the room, and she too showed concern for what she saw on the ultrasound. She said that she didn't know what it was, and that we needed to get in there and do a laproscopy to figure it out.

I returned home, very emotional for the next week. I would wake up in tears, terrified for what lied ahead, and even more terrified that maybe this problem would cause my body not to be able to have any more children. It was too much for me to handle. There were some mornings I would go into Isabella's room to get her out of her crib, and I would just hold her as I sobbed. Sweetly, she would just let me cuddle with her. Chris constantly tried to reassure me that everything was going to be okay.

A week later, September 29th I returned to my Dr's office for my pre-op visit. We spent about an hour talking to my Doctor about ALL the options. She discussed how and what was going to take place during the laproscopy, if we found this...this is how we would take care of it...If it was something bigger, she would close me up and send me to a specialist. Of course I broke down in the Dr's office and pleaded with her that she had to do everything in her power to make sure that I could have atleast 1 more baby. She reassured me that unless I was bleading to death on her operation table, she would make sure she did everything in her power to help save my organ.

After a long and emotional pre-op visit, I went into the lab to do more blood work, which was necessary before any operation. After my lab work, I returned back to the consultation room with my Dr.'s nurse who took care of the lab work and she informed me that my Dr. would not be able to perform the operation in 2 days......because I was pregnant. Pregnant? Chris and I both stared at the nurse, it wasn't possible. I looked and him and he looked at me, and we were so confused. 5 minutes ago, I was terrified that I may not be able to have more children, and then I am being told that we can't operate because I am pregnant? That was too many emotions for one human being to experience at one time in one body. Once again, I started to sob, and I looked over at Chris, and I think this is the first time I have ever seen my husband cry. It honestly was a miracle!!! Little did anyone know that we were trying to get pregnant, so the news of surgery really had me down. My Dr. returned to the office with the biggest smile on her face. And she said that she was convinced that what we saw on the ultrasound was a harmonal cyst that was very large because I was pregnant and that we would just keep an eye on it with lots more weekly follow ups. I seriuosly love my Doctor, she has been there for me through so much!

I went in for an ultrasound a couple weeks later, right before I left on my trip to South Dakota. The baby was too small to see, but the ultrasound tech said that the cyst, was a perfect cyst (meaning they no longer were questioning what the problem was). So that was good news. My parents were so sweet to just let me relax and get some rest while I was out in South Dakota because that cyst was connected to nerves, so I was still uncomfortable and in pain. Which made me little uneasy. At least I didn't have morning sickness to go along with it.

When I returned home from South Dakota I had another ultrasound, I was about 7 weeks along. The baby was still really really small so the Doc did an internal ultrasound, for 10 minutes she looked around....and looked around, and couldn't find anything. She was so confused because my HCG levels tripled, which was a good thing. But, she couldn't find the sac or a baby. She looked at me so dissapointed and said, "I am so sorry, this isn't a good pregnancy." I actually handled it better than I thought. I said "Okay" and told myself that atleast we know I can get pregnant, and we can try again. Just as the Doctor was getting ready to end the ultrasound, the sound waves were reflected off of this tiny tiny little body. All the sudden I hear my doctor say, "Is that what I think it is?" Sure enough, this little beaner was hiding...we turned on the monitor, and there was a little heartbeat, as strong as could be. Once again I started Sobbing!!!! I don't think I had cried this much in my entire life, than I had that month. It was the sweetest little sound I could have ever heard.

We haven't told hardly anyone, because it has been so emotional, that we really thought one day someone was going to pinch us and we were going to wake up from this dream.

So, last week I went in at 11 weeks, and the heartbeat was strong and there were 2 cute little legs kicking around. So, after a really long story and a really CRAZY couple of months, we are soooooo excited to announce, BABY HERNANDEZ-coming the beginning of June 09'. It's so much to be THANKFUL for! THANK YOU again for all your PRAYERS!

46 comments:

Tami said...

Congratulations!! I'm glad things are going better for you.

Stacey Irwin said...

oh, Meliza SUEE!! What a range of emotions I went thru for you!!! I was near tears. THen I was smiling with great excitement for you then my heart dropped and picked right back up for you! I cannot even imagine the range and depth of all of these emotions you had to expierence.. But I hope and pray this will truely be a happy ending with another beautiful baby!!!
Congradulations! I am soo glad everything is going okay. Be good to yourself!!! YAY!! I'm so excited for you!!! Congrats!What a blessing.

mel said...

Sure had me crying. I am so excited for you. Can't wait to see how cute this next one is!

Niki said...

I did not know that about your family, now I can understand your past post about problems that you were worried about. Congrats!! We are very excited for you. I am glad that it was good news and not bad like you were being led to believe.

Josie Murdock said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you guys. I am so sorry it had to be so scary and emotional, but I glad it turned out awsome. Many many things to be greatful for.

Hayley said...

You have me all teared up! I am so happy for you, and can't wait to see the new babe! I will keep you in my prayers.

Amy said...

what a crazy rollercoaster of emotions for you guys! wow! congratulations... we are so happy for you!!!

Taneill said...

Sounds like your little one has a purpose to come to the earth right now. Congrats- that is really exciting!

The DeVito's said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! Like Stacey said, I experienced a little of your emotions as I read your story.

Emilyjo said...

Congratulations!!! What a miracle! I hope all goes well. Take Care.

bladenfamily said...

Ok, I am sitting here bawling. Carter came in with a worried look on his face and asked what was wrong. I am so happy for you!! I had the same thing almost exactly with Carter. I had a softball sized cyst and they told me I had a miscarriage with him. I went a week thinking I wasn't pregnant to go in again to find out that I was. I am so glad you got the same happy ending I did! Can I see you this weekend? We are coming up on thursday and staying through sunday. Let me know if you have time and what would be good for you!

Kelsie said...

IM SO EXCITED FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY! I HOPE ALL GOES WELL.

Kelli said...

OMG. I am soooo happy for you. Why didn't you tell me the other day. I am so excited I have so many quilts done and no one to give them to. LUNCH soon.

Emily M said...

MELISSA- I am SO excited for you! And not telling us on thursday- you little stink. But really I am so happy for you guys! Ccongratulations!

GINGERSPICE said...

Oh Melissa,

Congratulations! You're blog had me in tears. What a blessing and miracle and I am so excited for you guys!

I can't imagine what you must've been going through these past several months. But thankfully things have turned out so positive!

Amy Johnson said...

I honestly was teary eyed reading this post! Congrats and good luck with your pregnancy!!! If you need anything please let me know! I'm sure Isabella would love playing with Simon!

Brown said...

Melissa, Congratulations! I am so happy that you are 1- ok health wise and 2- Pregnant! Congratulations, I can't say it enough and nothing else seems to cover you being healthy and carrying a healthy baby. Congratulations!

Ballard Family said...

Congatulations! I am so happy for you. I can't believe that you didn't tell us the other night. You have been through a lot these past few weeks and I hope that things are better! I love you lots, let me know if I can do anything!

Michelle said...

I am so excited for you!! Isabella will be the best big sister! Let me know if I can do anything to help out. The girls adore Isabella so anytime you need a break let me know!

Jami said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you guys. Sorry that you had to go through all of that but at least it ended up happy in the end.

Atkinsons said...

What an emotional post, it even had me crying..I can only imagine all the emotions you went through. Congratulations on your new little miracle! We are so happy for you!

Kiesha said...

Watta crazy way to find out your preggers...you know, a dip stick works pretty good. LOL!!! I don't know how I would've handled that huge emotional roller-coaster. You are one tough Mama! I'm SO glad you and the little peanut are healthy and CONGRATS on the big news. Best Wishes!!!

Carmen (Cholico) Lynch said...

I'm in tears reading this post! Congratulations! I hope all goes well!

sarah louise said...

You had me crying too, but for very different reasons then everyone else. I really am happy for you, though I might be good at showing it right now!

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

Okay, I know I'm just on a long list of congratulations you are recieving. But even though we have known for awhile, I never wanted to ask outright how everything was progressing being as how tenuous everthing was. So I'm still just as excited for you and totally can't wait to see what you are having -to shop of course and to see what this little bug looks like! Isa couldn't be any cuter, so I'm sure this one will keep up the trend!:)

Trisha said...

What a crazy turn of events! I am so happy that it has turned out this way and I am so happy that you will be adding to your family!

Melodie said...

Congratulations on the new baby! Exciting!

JACKIE FLAHERTY said...

I can't belive you didn't TELL me! You guys and your secrets. (only kidding) I wish I would have know so that I could have helped in some way. I am so Happy for You and Chris! Congrats!!! Take it easy and let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.
Love you
Jackie

Anonymous said...

All I can say is I'm speechless. What an amazing miracle to have experienced. I'm sure this one will be just as beautiful as Isa.

Natalie McKnight said...

Yeah!!! I am so excited for you. Isn't it amazing how everything works out how is is supposed to? Let me know if you need anything or help with Isa. You're the best.

The Jones Family said...

Congrats! Good luck with everything!

Sandy said...

It looks like congratulations are in order for you as well! What an emotional experience and such a wonderful blessing your little one is. I hope you are feeling better for the holidays. Congrats again! You asked when I was due, April 27th. We find out if it's a girl or boy next week. Can't wait!

moi said...

I'm sooo thrilled for your family. I'm really glad that the scared, worried feelings gave way to this wonderful outcome. Bawling my eyes out!!!

Ashley Mae McKnight said...

Aw! I loved reading this story, you are so cute and you & Chris deserve this little miracle baby! Seriously I would love to babysit if you need/ want a break. Isa needs to get to know her Aunt & Uncle better :) Cant wait to find out if its gunna be our new Niece or Nephew!!!

Kylene said...

YAY!!!! I am so happy for you guys. What exciting news! I am so glad everything has worked out and that you didn't need that surgery. Keep us posted on how you're feeling and you better post a belly pic soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa, I'm Emily's sister inlaw if you can't remember who I am. I just wanted to comment on how cute your blog is. I LOVE your header. Maybe I need you to create one for me. :) I'm just kidding. I would love to have the creativity and talent that you have. Also CONGRATS on the new addition to the family. Take Care

Staci said...

Holy Crap!!!! I had no idea. I'm so crying right now. I can't imagine having the fear of not being able to have another baby. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! You two have a really good recipe for cute babies so I wish you 10 babies and a very health life! No more scariness!! I hope you can skip over the morning sickness part that's the worst but well worth it. CONGRATS!
Love, Staci

Ash said...

Congratulations! A big fat congratulations. I am so excited for you guys. How scary to have all those issues lately. I'm glad everything is going well now.

Shelly Traveller said...

How did I get so behind! CONGRATS! I'm so happy for you!

Larson Family said...

Wow - what a rollercoaster. I am so glad it worked out for you. Congrats!

Merrill Brower said...

Missy Sue! What an incredible story. I am so glad everything is okay! What a great ending and blessing. Congratulations! Keep us all posted on how youʻre doing!

april said...

Oh Melissa-- I am so glad you are ok! That story was hard to read, how terrifying and emotional. I am so happy for you that you are going to have another baby!!! That is such great news after all that you have been through!

Payne Family said...

I knew the whole dang story and I still cried. How amazing and what a miracle!! Congrats!!

Chantel said...

Congratulations!! That is SO great for you guys. I am glad that everything turned out good for you.

Dani said...

So I get on your blog and see the baby ticker on the side and about freaked out because I haven't checked blogs for so long. I thought, "how long has she been pregnant and I haven't known?" At least I am only a few weeks behind. Congrats! That is so much fun. You are a tough girl because I don't think I could take that roller coaster. I would be a mess. Can't wait to see you at Christmas time. We wont be there until new years, but we need to get together. Love ya!!!

Unknown said...

lady!! this is great news! minus the other stuff, of course... ;) and how retarded am i? i was scrolling through your blog the other night and casey was like, "so she's pregnant, huh?" seriously, i completely missed your little beaner in the corner. btw, gab was winkerbean. crazy mexicans... ;P