I apologize in advance for being so long winded in this post, but this week has been super busy, but so worthwhile. The last 2 months I have been planning and preparing for the Relief Society Birthday Party. The theme was "I have felt the Master's Touch in My Sisters' Hands". I have had so much fun preparing for this. The last month my committee and I have been going around to the sister's houses and taking pictures of them doing different things with their hands (holding their babies, reading the scriptures, cleaning their house, straightening their husbands ties) etc. Well on Saturday I took all 30 pictures over to my in-laws, and my sweet brother in law Kyle helped me make a DVD, it took us a couple hours to get it just right with the music. The song was beautiful. I know many of you who read this, have great voices and sing alot, so if you're looking for a new song to sing, you can find this song at
www.defordmusic.com/mysistershands.htm Well we couldn't find any DVD's to burn our slideshow on, so I got some on Monday and went back over to Kyle's and he tried burning it and...nothing. So of course, the activity is in 2 days and I am starting to freak out. So I call my other brother in law, Nick, who is a computer wiz and he tells me to e*mail him the program and he would try to burn it for me. So I send it to him, at 930 that night he still can't get it to work. So my husband heads over to his house and tries to help. In the meantime,as a back up, while they are trying to burn this, I am starting over with Plan B, making a Power Point. He comes walking in the door at 1100 that night and says, it's not going to work, you have to have special software. So I start really stressing because now that we have to use my Power point, I now need to track down a Projector. So Tuesday morning I start making a million phone calls, and I had so many people helping me out, my brother in law, my old boss, my brother, everyone is pitching in to help me. I get a phone call from one of my committee members and she wanted to know how it was going, and I said not so good. I wondered if the church would have a projector but I didn't have a car seat to take Isabella over to the church. So, my sweet friend Emily offers to take her so I can run over to the church and check the library. No good, they were all from 1950. So, I continue to make phone calls, in the meantime I needed to go get Lasagna's and strawberries delivered to my committee members, etc. etc. So, I go out to the car unlock it, throw my keys and diaper bag in the front seat, and then I go to open the back door and I am locked out of the car. What??? My car doesn't have automatic locks, how can I unlock the front door, and it lock on it's own? Well, on a day like Tuesday, it is completely possible. So, once again I walk over to my friend Emily's and she saves us (again) in a 3 hour timeframe. My sweet husband leaves work and comes home to unlock my doors.
Well, Tuesday night Chris and I were going to head out to Amalga and start setting up tables and chairs, that way Wednesday all I had to do was go out and decorate, get Isa to the babysitter, run to the store, and get back to the church by 5:00. Tuesday was so crazy he was like, "Don't worry about it, I will just go out after basketball and get everything set up for you." So he was out there until 11:00 that night setting up tables for me. The next morning he had to wake up early and catch a flight to Denver for work. I have the sweetest husband!
Well, what does all this rambling mean? I was so greatful for all of my friends and family who pitched in and helped me. I was so greatful that so many people were willing to drop everything and help me. I have the best friends and family anyone could ask for. And, as far as the Birthday party went, we had a great turnout! 45 sisters showed up, the best attendance we have ever had. And, the slideshow...we rigged it, we hooked up the laptop with a TV and whola~ Thanks everyone who has helped me this week, including my fabulous Enrichment committee.
Here is a picture of the flowers we bought for the center pieces. They are called crazy daises, are they not the cutest things ever? After a long stressful week, I have these beautiful flowers sitting in my dining room to enjoy. They are getting me so excited for Spring!

13 comments:
Wednesday night turned out wonderful! You did an amazing job! And you give others to much credit. That was so you! I feel like a did very little. When I would go to enritchment activities in the past I had no clue what kind of work goes into them! But I had fun working with you.
I too am enjoying my bright spring flowers in my house.
oh, and sorry I didn't make it to swimming the other night-I was late so I just went in the weight room and ran instead.
I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend! And if you ever lock your keys in your car, feel free to come on over! :)
I am sure it was an incredible night, things like this always seem to just come together! I don't know how (actually I do :) ) but they do.
It sounds like not only do you have a great husband, but incredibly sweet brother-in-laws. That was so nice of them to help!
Watta a great idea for a theme! I'm on our enrichment committee so I may have to suggest it to our leader. Maybe I'll just volunteer to TAKE the pictures and pass on the task of displaying them. :) You're awesome!
Wow! What a stressful couple of days! I would have gone crazy and asked to be released! You're amazing, and it's great that you have such amazing friends and family!
-Carmen
I was stressed just reading this!! I'm so sorry you had such a stressfull time with the party! But I'm glad you have such great friends and neighbors to help you out! If you ever need anything let me know...I'm not too far away you know!
Melissa. you poor girl! It is always so frusterating when you are trying to get something fun done for an event! But it sounds like you pulled it off ( go girl!) and it turned out fun and knowing you it was still super cute! I loved your "crazy daisy's" and I laughed when I saw your table and chair set. would you believe I had the exact same set?! great taste!
oh Melissa! I have had these experiences when trying to put something together too! I know the feeling exactly and then people step in and save the day and you feel like you owe your life to them and don't know how to repay them! I am so glad it all came together:).
Hey Melissa! Wow- you had quite the project! Im glad it went well, those daisies are so cute. I gotta listen to that song too. Wish Dust and I could have helped- we would have loved to but we didn't know! Glad you guys had a good Easter- Cute pics of Isa with Grandpa Winn! We miss you guys, we will have you guys over when we get all settled. Love ya!
Weeks like that make you so grateful that it's only temporary. I hate dealing with technical stuff, but I'm sure the program was wonderful. our RS did a hand theme and they handed out cool soaps with hand quotes inside the bottles. I guess it must be a inspired! What a great idea to catch people in the act. I'm sure it strengthened your faith putting it together. How wonderful.
Wow when it rains it pours. I am sure it turned out amazing. In the end it always does!!
Way to go Chris I am not sure AAron would have been so nice.
Sorry to hear about your week. Wish I could have been there to help you. Great idea for Enrichment night. It sounds like it was a powerful activity and a good reminder to everyone how much a woman's hands accomplish each day. We are so blessed! Thanks for sharing your talents with others, Lis. I am so proud of you! Love you! Mom
Wow! I am on the Enrichment committee and yours sounds awesome. I may borrow some of your ideas. I am so glad things worked out for you. Family and friends are great aren't they?
Hey it's me again. where do I get that book? Just at borders? Or did you order it online?
Thanks,
Katie
Post a Comment