Friday, March 13, 2009
Another Parent of the Year Award!
Oh the lovely age of two. It can be so fun and so challenging all at the same time. Isabella really doesn't have too many melt downs, her tantrums are usually justified (mom's not paying attention to her), and she really is a loving little girl. BUT....and this is a huge BUT, as soon as I put her in a cart of any sort, her terrible two's really shine brightly!!! Today I made a trip to our local Lowe's Home Store to buy some paint. No big deal, I came prepared with my paint chips ready to go, a list of what to buy......her favorite book, and most importantly....a HANDFULL of Smarties.....what coul go wrong???? Nothing at first, she was sweet and sat in the cart looking at her book and eating her Smarties. I grabbed a couple more paint chips and started putting some primer and Antique Gloss in the cart. I went to reach for a roller and that's when I heard the "KABOOM." I looked down and sure enough those small little hands were big enough to grab the antique glaze (a.k.a. Black Oil), and throw it on the floor, creating enough pressure for the entire thing to EXPLODE all over the floor and all over my favorite jeans and shoes. This part of the story is where I get the parent of the year award. If you were in Lowe's this morning this is what you would have heard, "Damn it.......are you kidding me???" I know, I know......what kind of parent swears at their kids, only the worst terrible parents out there!!! Oh, I can't even tell you how mad AND embarassed I was. But, I think this is the first time Isabella has truely been TERRIFIED of me. I must have had the look of SATAN in my eyes, because she sat down in the cart and didn't make a peep for the next 20 minutes. Occasionally she would look up and wave and say, "Hi mom!" Okay, that's when you forget about how mad you are. How could I be mad at that little face. Needless to say, it was quite the operation for the Lowe's team to clean that up off the floor and they didn't make me pay for the damaged glaze. And, I think Isabella now understands why mom says, "Isabella, please sit down."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
oh man- that stinks! you know that you have humbled them when they don't say a peep- and then just say "hi mom" I am glad that I am not the only parent that has lost it with my child! :)
LOL! oh honey. Well, If it makes your feel better I too have lost the parent of the year award( multiple times) for the very same phrase. Yes. the guilt comes right after. Except those "puppy cute eyes" stop working. And they just learn to NOT talk until further notice! That had to have been quite the mess. I am soo sorry! Even worse when you are wearing a few favorite items. I hope Lowes was cool about it.
It's why children have to be cute when they are that young.. if not we would probably just eat them!
"Hi Mom." ha ha.. no matter what she's a cutie. I bet it's very hard to stay mad at her.
Just blame it on Friday the 13th!!!
Those favorite pants are probably precious cargo at this time in your life. I know I only have a few and they are saved for the going out times:) How could you stay mad at those big eyes staring back at you. I hope the day gets better.
Gotta love those terrible twos
I found myself saying to Wyatt at Walmart today, "Do you have to grab everything". He pretty much just looked at me like "yes!". Then the cart started being left in the middle of the isle. I now understand why moms do this and yes it is annoying to other shoppers but it saves sanity for the mom who's struggling to keep it together.
Tyler once dropped a kitchen florescent bulb in a grocery store. it exploded like a bomb. glass everywhere. ummmm ... my reaction was the exact same as yours. actually worse. among the curse words were tears. from me. ....and his reaction was the exact same as Isabella's. I guess I put the fear of God in him. Melissa, I hate to tell you this: but this many years later and it is still impossible to take my kids to the store!!! I think it's too much stimulation. I shop ALONE :) sorry about your traumatic shopping experience!!! hopefully she learned her lesson!!!
Oh my word, I have to admit we had moments during your terrible two's but not to that extreme. This is where you blame it on the genes from the other side of the family? -- just kidding, Chris.
Wish we were there to help out!
Love you!
Mom
Oh that sucks! I'm laughing but I also feel your embarassment. And, uh...you're not the first parent to swear at your kids.
You are not alone! I have said those words a time or two myself. Sad as it is the kids usually forget how made you were and just keep being little cute stinkies!! Sorry about your pants!
what a mess! the favorite jeans and shoes too? Embarrassing yes, but somebody may have gotten a little giggle out of it as they walked by...so at least you may have made someone smile right?
wow you sure to deserve parent of the year, but how great it would have been to be a fly on the wall when it happened. p.s. i LOVE the pictures that your sister in law took
Great story. Maybe not so funny today but you'll love it later, especially when she's older. You had me laughing!
I'm surprised that's all you said and you continued to shop! I would have absolutely lost it!
Oh Melissa - I think we all say it at least once - maybe not so publicly - but at least once!
been there, done that! Eggs...Lees...you get the picture! I think I said some similar words!
Oh that does stink! I don't know what I would've done in that situation I do know you handled it better than I would have. I'm constantly fighting with Ellie to sit down in the cart, it drives me crazy!!! sorry about your pants and shoes. Now it just gives you an excuse to go and buy new ones...right?!
You always make me laugh! It's funny because we can ALL relate to the shopping cart maddness that seems to happen every dang time we take the kids shopping! I'm sure we've all taken our turn at "parent of the year." :)
I visably grimaced at the thought of the glaze exploding everywhere! I can totally relate to the frustration of two year olds!
Oh boy- every parents nightmare. But listen that doesn't make you a terrible parent, just a very real parent. Honestly you handled it waaay better than I would have!:)
"I must have had the look of SATAN in my eyes" is one of the BEST descriptive sentences I have read in a while! All that aside, all I can say is what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Your poor outfit.
Post a Comment